Sunday, February 7, 2010

Walking around Singapore's Chinatown

What an extravaganza! We were told that Sunday night was kind of slow for that area at this time of year, but it was sure packed enough for my liking. I think the highlight of this place with its people brushing past each other in loose formations signaling various levels of false detachment or eagerness to find the next deal was the weird guys with microphones hawking their late night TV commercial type goods.

One guy had a very light weight puppet toy he made jump and do tricks by MAGIC using a wire that was not visible from the distance all onlookers were forced to maintain. He had the wire wrapped around his body and some objects we were supposed to consider randomly placed, and he was telling the ball of fluff to do one trick after another which it promptly performed as obediently as a thumb on a partially concealed hand may obey a showman's brain.

Other goodies on sale were fake hairpieces (that guy had massive attendance which blew my mind since I think the hair women have here is so lovely on average without this junk), sidewalk charcoal art (looked awesome), and those funny looking scalp massage things that look like thin wire claws. I realize those claws actually feel good, although I am not sure they provide all of the health benefits the hawkers claim they do. Still, all of the people gathered around to have this thing mashed on top of their heads seemed pretty funny.

We walked all over the place I wound up getting a very tiny taste of durian ice cacang. No thank you. No really, you can have the rest. Forever.

It was a long and tiring day but full of fun. Earlier we had gorged ourselves on dim sum, and then re-gorged ourselves at a relatives house where it was the little kiddos that made my day more than the self-forced feeding. I had curry crab. Very yummy sauce I would eat on anything if I could. Crab, I love the flavor but I am inept at getting at the meat. I was so pathetic that our host even started cracking the shells for me. I would have been embarrassed if it didn't feel so downright sweet and nurturing. Linda tricked me into eating crab roe. She was supposed to be giving me crab meat. I am going to have to get better at this shell thing. It's all good though. One of our host's daughters tricked me into eating CHOCOLATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment