Monday, February 8, 2010

Busy Monday

Finally we made it to one of those huge food courts that offers a dazzling array of tasty delights, some of which one can identify at a distance and others that beg for translation services from Linda or our hosts. In the end I wound up enjoying (in order of tastiness) carrot cake (it's savory, not sweet and not at all breadlike), lor mee, roast pork, cuikueh (nice rice cakes with yucky raddish stuff on top of it), and oyster omelette.

We had a very busy Monday here. I missed out on whatever my wife and our cool friends did though. I was instead harassing people at one of the local universities trying to build a better idea of how I might find work in this fabulous place. I get the impression that people who work as professors at universities in Singapore are having a very good time. I've heard that things tend to work in a pretty top-down manner for people working here, university professors included, but I'm not sure the authoritarian environment isn't buying them something priceless. The 4 faculty I talked to represent multiple groups and roles, yet each of them sent off a really energetic and sociable vibe.

I was supposed to drink up some breathtakingly smooth Macallan whiskey, but instead I wound up so tired I just crashed. Once again I proved that Keith is just a tired old donkey at the end of the day *sigh* One of these days I will give everyone a heart attack by staying up and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment